Customize

WMG again making claims on content it does not own?

Discussion in 'Youtube and Vimeo Problems' started by Relyt, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Relyt Member

WMG again making claims on content it does not own?

I just checked my YouTube account to see if there were any new copyright claims against my video, and sure enough, I had another one of those "audio has been removed due to third party content". I had forgotten what I had supposedly used on that video, so I went through my CD-Rs, found the video, and watched it.

The song I used is from a band called Solace (From the USA). The album, "13" was released on MeteorCity Records, back in 2003. I did as much research as I could...

MeteorCity Records (Unida, The Obsessed, Nebula, etc)
    MeteorCity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    List of Warner Music Group labels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...plus some various Google searches...

...but I could find no connection whatsoever between MeteorCity and WMG. So I've refuted the claim with YouTube, and am waiting to see what happens.

The claim was made against this video:

Two small parts of the song are used in two different parts of the video, and even if WMG had owned it, it would still fall under "Fair Use", as defined by the EFF.

But I'm also kind of wondering if someone made the claim while pretending to be a part of WMG. Basically, all the claim said is that my video "may have third party content owned by WMG", and nothing else. Remember though, that's it's extremely easy to make a claim on YouTube. All you have to do is type in a company name and you're set, so long as it doesn't backfire when the claim is refuted.
  2. Re: WMG again making claims on content it does not own?

I FUCKING HATE RANDY
  3. _You_ Member

Re: WMG again making claims on content it does not own?

I don't think it's Fair Use. You're not using it to comment on the work, but using to comment on something else.
  4. Relyt Member

Fair Use also works if there are no requirements to have written permission to use the work, and if only parts of a clip are used. Usually the smaller labels not owned by a major music group, do not take a nasty dictatorship stand against anyone using their content for non-profit use, especially if it's not even the entirety of the clip that was used. There is absolutely no copyright infringed in this case. I would have to be either making money off of my video, or claiming all content as my own.

WMG has been known to abuse copyright law by making claims against even those using a 2-second clip in a parody. But sometimes, such is the case now, they make claims against material they do not even own. Of course this could just be the YouTube algorithmic engine making a mistake.
  5. AnonyMary Member

That's Fair Use, as I hear it. Looks like you're probably being harassed. I can see why because it's a good video. Hope all goes well for you on this.

Mary McConnell
  6. Relyt Member

If it was a Scientologist who complained about my video, I can see why... it's one which shows them behaving badly.
  7. _You_ Member

this is why the DMCA needs to be amended, if not repealed.
  8. Re: WMG again making claims on content it does not own?

why do you think trolls are always asking "where'd u get that footage" "whats that music"
  9. Relyt Member

Well, refuting the claim worked, as the audio has been restored to the video. No idea if the WMG claim was a legitimate one, or not. Although, would it really hurt YouTube to introduce some kind of a verification process in order to file a DMCA complaint? It's only what at least half of their userbase has been asking for, for like 3 years now.
  10. the anti Member

I had the sound wiped from a video I make that had a machine head song on it, I would like to put a new song in place of it but then I would have to reload the video all together or pick from something from this list of stuff that does work out