Customize

Write on the Paper Money!

Discussion in 'Protest Advice' started by Zahava1980, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Zahava1980 Member

A great way to protest;)

Tell every person in Iran to "Down with Khamenei" on the paper money(Tomans)..Money circulates so fast they will not be able to control it.And it will be a reminder!!:eek:
  2. Ray Murphy Member

It would probably be a criminal offence to deface Iranian currency whilst in Iran, however it might be legal to use U.S. banknotes because U.S. law doesn't apply there - that's if there's any U.S. notes left in the country.
  3. Geraldanthro Member

I like it

Spread it far and wide, can't throw away that message.

G
  4. Criminal offence or not - who is going to know who does it??????? Are they going to arrest the whole country for handling money that has it written on it? Go for it Iran - brilliant idea!
  5. Ray Murphy Member

If people did break the law and deface Iranian currency in that way, I wonder if the new president of Iran (in a few months time) would be legally able to issue "bulk presidential pardons" or would s/he insist that the penalty be paid [in non-marked bills of course].
  6. God forbid protesters commit a terrible criminal offense like writing on money!

I'd think a simple "remember Neda" (or something else to emphasize the protests against oppression WITHOUT targeting the system of government itself) may be more effective.
  7. Reports on Twitter say that banknotes are already appearing with "Where is my vote?" written on them. I think it's a good idea.
  8. Angelraven Member

I think it is a bad idea. It is defacing money which is against the law in any country and within a few days, Gov will know about ti and start posting Basiiji in market and just start arresting anyone who has that written on their money.
    I think it is a dangerous plan. JMO

You cannot get the entire country using it at the same time and who knows which merchants are on the side of the green revolution.. the merchants could start turning people in... .not safe!
  9. Tony C Member

I agree, very dangerous. Especially for any person using it or in posssion of it. The government is going mental on everything they deem a threat against them. In the states the saying is "Possesion is 9/10 of the law". The Iranian government probably changed that to "Possession is against god and is cause for execution". And like the previous poster stated, you never know which merchant to trust.
  10. But how can they know who wrote it ? Unless you write the stuff in front of a basidj, how will they know you did it ? If all the money has "Where is my vote" written on it, they can't go arresting anyone who has money..

Just say it was already written on the money when you got it.
  11. mrcruzi Member

Do it!

write on it,, who will know ,, write what you feel.. they have already defaced lives ,, why not deface the thing that is most valubale to them...money,,
    after all that is why they are scared to lose power,, because with it they will lose wealth.. so why not remind them everyday when they open there pocket
    of what they have done..
    POWER TO THE PERSIANS!
  12. also, you don't have to write on every single bill, try slipping a few into a stack.
  13. It's a criminal offense to be a part of the protests going on in Iran. Why start playing by the rules now? I say write on EVERYTHING. Money, telephone booths, bathroom walls.... If you can write on it, it needs to be written on!
  14. Ray Murphy Member

It's not a criminal offence under the Constitution to protest peacefully.

http://gerdab.ir was out of action 60 secs ago.
  15. Excellent idea.
    Those who oppose the idea are those who are with the current regime and don't support the uprising.
    What law are you talking about? It's against rules to arrest those who protest. It's in iranian constitution. Let alone torture.

You say it's dangerous. Very funny. So you think it's not dangerous to go in streets in Iran?
  16. Wrong. Those who oppose the idea oppose the idea. People have a right to their opinion. Just because they disagree does not automatically make them agents.
  17. Technically since the protesters are not being granted permits to protest and since the supreme leader and the Interior Ministry declared these election related protests as being illegal, these are considered to be a criminal offense.

However you are correct that as per Article 27 of the constitution: "Public gatherings and marches may be freely held, provided arms are not carried and that they are not detrimental to the fundamental principles of Islam."

If we are going to talk about things that are constitutionally guaranteed here are some other things that are not being upheld which are also in the constitution:

• Article 6 - "In the Islamic Republic of Iran, the affairs of the country must be administered on the basis of public opinion expressed by the means of elections, including the election of the President, the representatives of the Islamic Consultative Assembly, and the members of councils, or by means of referenda in matters specified in other articles of this Constitution."
    • Article 9 - "In the Islamic Republic of Iran, the freedom, independence, unity, and territorial integrity of the country are inseparable from one another, and their preservation is the duty of the government and all individual citizens. No individual, group, or authority, has the right to infringe in the slightest way upon the political, cultural, economic, and military independence or the territorial integrity of Iran under the pretext of exercising freedom. Similarly, no authority has the right to abrogate legitimate freedoms, not even by enacting laws and regulations for that purpose, under the pretext of preserving the independence and territorial integrity of the country. "
    • Article 38 - "All forms of torture for the purpose of extracting confession or acquiring information are forbidden. Compulsion of individuals to testify, confess, or take an oath is not permissible; and any testimony, confession, or oath obtained under duress is devoid of value and credence. Violation of this article is liable to punishment in accordance with the law."
    • Article 39 - "All affronts to the dignity and repute of persons arrested, detained, imprisoned, or banished in accordance with the law, whatever form they may take, are forbidden and liable to punishment. "

Articles 2 and 3 also have some fun points of contention as well. I could keep going, but I think I made my point... I don't think they care what they've allotted for in the constitution. They are doing whatever they please with no regard to their own rules.
  18. And if the government just turn round and say. Any money with writing on it is no longer worth anything. Banks stop taking it, state businesses stop taking it... Economic failure. GOOD THINKING GUIZ!!! WHY DONT WE ALL CUT OFF OUR BIG TOES AND USE THEM INSTEAD OF ROCKS TO THROW AT BASIJI... I thought people could use their brains.
  19. You're right, I thought people could use their brains. You're obviously not. Let's play out your scenario for a second:

Step 1 - People all write on the money and then spend it
    Step 2 - The government say that the currency is no longer valid
    Step 3 - Economic collapse
    Step 4 - ???

What do you think will happen once the economy collapses? You think that would give the government more power? No, they'd be subsidizing their own demise. The entire country would become unstable and all of the people would blame the government for creating the instability. Think about it for a second, would you?

And also stop being so mellow dramatic. Rocks weigh more the toes...
  20. Ray Murphy Member

The only way that peaceful protests could be illegal is if the supreme leader and/or the Interior Ministry have more authority than the Constitution or they hold a legal right under the Constitution to make such a declaration.
    One would think that if either or both had such a right they would have quoted it by now.
  21. The issue is no one holding the regime accountable. If you are against them then you are the enemy and it really easy to manipulate the descent in to being 'anti-Islamic'. Once that happens anything and everything is fair game.
  22. Step 5 - Profit!!!
  23. Graffitti slogans have a widespread effect

not just money but public lavatories, walls, bus seats etc etc "remember Neda" "where's my vote?" "down with the dictator" "Ahmadinejad the thief"

money can be spent at cash machines and ticket offices or pay in exact money at a shop and move on quickly
  24. Ray Murphy Member

Soon it won't matter what they think or say. I've noticed for a while that the pseudo-president runs off at the mouth constantly, so the poor guy will now be running around like a rat in a tin when no cameras are in sight :D
  25. in some public places like train stations and airports etc you have (i'm not sure about iran though) those machines where you can swap currencies. You could write messages on your money, swap it into another currency and swap it back. Even though this isn't free it could bring LOADS of defaced bank notes in the economy in no-time.
    Just an idea...
  26. oh, they have them all right. http://mightierthan.com/images/016.jpg

also, if you get tired writing the same thing over & over again, brighten up the task a little by adding a little lion face to the monies, like so. just a little lulz to lighten your load.
  27. No, but your kind of manipulative coercion is reminiscent of the current regime.

The point isn't the theoretical concern of what is or is not a criminal offense, but the practical concern of what is good strategy. Protesting in groups affords individual protesters some degree of safety (not absolute, obviously). Individual instigators can blend into the crowd. Unarrests can be made. Etc. Currency with subversive writing has a different risk profile. Unless it's going into a vending machine, the source of the tainted currency is marked. Money transactions can happen in various physical contexts, with varying prospects for escape. Also, the money can unwittingly pass into the hands of someone who is unprepared for the potential consequences of spending it, due to unawareness, physical frailty, or other reasons. At the very least, the different risk profiles of protesting and using marked money should be considered, not ignored.
  28. Since when did the Basiji become meticulous about punishing actual perpretators of offenses real or imagined?
  29. Jakomeyu Member

Ive heard of some places where they have US dollars, which are soetimes used for tender, but other than that I dont know
  30. still in circulation (sic)

Not sure how common, but defaced money is still circulating.

slogans vary, some are batch printing them with colour printers.

no idea if defaced money will be accepted at the change scanner.

one place you can drop them with ease is in mosques at the alms.