Customize

Writers of the Future and Scientology, Redux

Discussion in 'Scientology and Anonymous' started by Triumph, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Triumph Member

Apr 24, 2018 / Uncategorized Jim C Hines
    Writers of the Future and Scientology, Redux

snippet

I sent the manuscript for Terminal Alliance to my editor and agent on Sunday, which means I am now allowed to stop and breathe and catch up on a little of what’s been happening in the world recently. I wanted to start with the discussion about the Writers of the Future contest that’s been making the rounds.
    I was a first prize winner in the contest back in 1998, and attended the 1999 workshop. My story was published in Volume 15. At the time, I knew L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of the contest, was also the founder of Scientology. We were told the contest and its finances were completely separate from the church.

snippet
    The workshop is taught using materials from Dianetics. J. W. Alden posted a thread with one of the first handouts the writers receive at the WotF workshop. I remember that particular worksheet from my own workshop week. What I didn’t know until Alden pointed it out was that the text of that worksheet comes directly from page one of Dianetics.
    snippet
    I’m not interested in shaming winners or people who choose to participate, or the judges, some of whom are people I have tremendous respect for. But I want to make the information available so people can make more informed choices about whether to participate.
    If I’d known then what I know now? I would have removed Writers of the Future from my submission list and sent that story to another market, somewhere without the transphobia, with a bigger audience, and without the close connection to a religious organization with a long list of alleged abuses.

more @ link

http://www.jimchines.com/2018/04/wotf-and-scientology-2/
  2. Scientology Writers of the Future Contest allegedly made transphobic edits.

The article linked and excerpted below provides an excellent overview and outline of the concerns about the Writers of the Future Contest and its relationship to the Church of Scientology. I chose to excerpt the point noted in the title of this thread.

JIm C. Hines: Writers of the Future and Scientology, Redux

http://www.jimchines.com/2018/04/wotf-and-scientology-2/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Transphobic edits. Keffy R. M. Kehrli was a WotF winner in 2011. His story “Bonehouse” was, to the best of his knowledge, the only story to receive any edits that year. The edits in question? Removing references about a trans character who was transitioning.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

The linked Tweets are below. The entire Twitter thread is excellent.

https://twitter.com/Keffy/status/984508208197898242

mpzyO9U.png