Customize

WWP Poll: Events

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by sue, Jan 4, 2013.

?

Event organisation on WWP

Poll closed Jan 11, 2013.
I would like to, but it's currently confusing. 7 vote(s) 43.8%
I don't see a need for it. 1 vote(s) 6.3%
It's fine as it is. 8 vote(s) 50.0%
  1. sue Administrator

Hi,

A conversation developed in another thread where certain site features were discussed.

This brought me to wonder how (dis)satisfied you are with the current implementation for "events". As seen here: https://whyweprotest.net/community/events/

There seems to not be great use for it at this time and would appreciate your feedback.
  2. RightOn Member

I think threads are fine enough for events, but they do get buried quickly.
    Maybe a sticky for an event thread would suffice?
    Does this make any sense? ok I will shut up now
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

Events page is messy and hard to read. It should be dismantled in its current form.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. rickybobby Member

I like Events. Don't make it go away now that I have the hang of it. Already planning new "events".
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Anonymous Member

I thought events were one of the best new features with the XenForo switchover, and don't know why people don't use them more. A reduction to the clutter could be made by disabling the recurring event function, so people don't put their personal army request/ideological bullshit on daily/weekly repeat for the rest of eternity.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. skeptic2girl Member

Relevantly, I had been just trying to find the Events page, and was frustrated to see it's apparently not happening right now?

It comes in super-handy for the Anon cells that protest Scientology -- especially for those that don't have an active local website (which is most of us).

I also consult there to see what/when other cells are doing.

I think it's really important and helpful to have a one-stop "this is what's going on in the protest" world page. I mean, the site is called, "Whyweprotest." The next questions are, "Where and when?"

"Go see the events page..."

ps: there's always suggestions, like, "It would be cool if you could do such-and-such..." but it's really fine how it is. I just want it to be there!

My only weird thing was/is you occasionally see someone post an event and make it recurring, but it was more like an idea that's not going to happen?

For instance, someone had posted recurring worldwide events for Animal Abusers Should Get the Death Penalty.

Those were, like, spam event listings.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. sue Administrator

Hi, yes the event addon has been disabled since it was unreasonably taxing resources (memory leak). I'd like to see a improved version be introduced eventho that is not within the current budget.

Sorry, I do understand what you mean -- I wish the same.
  8. rickybobby Member

<<<<<sadness>>>>>
  9. rickybobby Member

Yes, it is somewhat ironic that a website called "Why We Protest" has ceased to support the very feature designed to plan protests. Guess that's a statement about the state of Chanology nowadays-- lots of talking, not so many feet on the street.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. xirkylou Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. Events rocks. It lets you know at a glance what's going on and where. (Or it would, if more people would start using it.)

I agree 100%. I also think it would help reduce clutter if the section were kept a little more focused on events only. There end up being a lot of really generalized threads about "hey guys, what should we do??" which would be more appropriately placed in the corresponding Think Tank areas.
  12. Events is also useful because it's like flypaper for all the crazy people, and then we have a go-to spot to laugh at them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. rickybobby Member

If it comes back, I will use it. I'm ready to come out and play with as many other Anons as I can!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. amaX Member

It's the freaking 5 year Anoniversary of Chanology this month. Would LOVE to still have some way to post events because there will be events in January and February.

I love you, Sue & The Mods!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. skeptic2girl Member

We really, REALLY (!) need and want to list our cell's events here.
    OSA needs us! ;)
    But I have also gotten feedback from new protestors that the events listings here is where they found out about our protest.

This website - particularly the events page - really is our main venue to anonymously encourage new people to come out and join the fun, and alert active people and OG about upcoming stuff.

Is there any way to do this without the memory drain?
    It could be simpler if needed -- we just need to list the date and place.
    I would also say that although some people might find the previous set up confusing, there will always be confused people on the internet.
    I'm computer-impaired and I figured it out.

Tl;dr

If the dilemma is to make the events page more user-friendly, don't worry. It's fine.
  16. sue Administrator

No, the issue is not that it wasn't user friendly. It was bringing the servers to its knees during some of its routine tasks.
  17. Anonymous Member

You could make planning threads in https://whyweprotest.net/community/forums/usa-west-coast.264/ ?
  18. skeptic2girl Member