Customize

YouFoundTheCard.com Needs Updating

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Anonynamefag, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Anonynamefag Member

2. A.Non Hubbard Member

Re: YouFoundTheCard.com Needs Updating

It's also as ugly as shit.
  3. Anon752 Member

And it smells funny.

But really, it could use some major updating. Who is actually in control of it at this point? I thought it might be Vir?
  4. Anonymous Member

I'm gonna be critical of YFTC for a moment, so don't get your knickers in a knot.

Why does the "If you are thinking of closing this window, click here" link goes to a massively TL;DR story? Great writing though it is, it seems like throwing a 13-page article at someone who apparently doesn't give a crap wouldn't be very effective.

Also, I don't think YFTC's design draws people in very well, which is crucial because you probably only have 5-10 seconds to convince them to stay and look around a little. YFTC comes off like a big text wall. I've seen non-Anons view it for the first time and close the window right away. Granted, you will always get a certain percentage who do that, but I think it's too high in the current design.

It's just that I feel like we have this awesome viral information scheme in place... but the execution of it, the big kicker, is lacking. At this point, I believe even something like simply redirecting to The Unfunny Truth would be much more effective.
  5. anonymous612 Member

This is wise and clever.
  6. The Blue Jay Member

We should also probably provide information on how some anons trick the public with funny redirection sites like "you found John Stamos"

they probably expect John Stamos, maybe

just maybe
  7. Anonymous Member

no one expects john stamos. Ever.
  8. Anonynamefag Member

INAM
  9. The Blue Jay Member

I did...

*cries in corner
  10. Anonymous Member

so is this

beaner.jpg
  11. Anonymous Member

^^^this , op is also correct imho

Just so I'm not bitching without saying what can be done to make it better, here are some specifics on the techy/accessibility side( tl;dr ):

Color choices: Negative (white on black) designs are more difficult for most people to read than positive. Not only are people more used to positive (or black on white), but depending on the quality of the viewer's hardware,res, and browser settings, text in negative designs can appear to blur together or "haze", making it unreadable.

MS trebuchet is a shitty typeface for smaller text in a white on black design. The characters are much more pronounced and easier to read in a typeface like arial or verdana. If using MS treb (or really anything on a neg design) the leading should be increased so the reader can see the individual shapes of the characters and words without going blind.

The padding, spacing and type of text alignment are inconsistent..makes it look slipshod. The content column also jumps over about 20 pixels on some of the pages, and then back on others.

styling on linked img's is broken in IE and Opera. Default in IE 6 & 7, absent in Opera.

Couple of crowded text issues in IE. (look at the spacing between How Can I Help link and the header 'Informational' in IE 6 or 7.

amp#39; for single quotes, great justice, and no random wtfisthatcharacter ?'s and boxes. Either that or there's something with the wysiwyg editor used to write some articles using 's, see What Can I Do To Help | You Found The Card, third bullet point, shit like that triggers quirks and breaks layouts in IE. Might have something to do with next point.

layout is totally broke in IE6 on the (arguably) most critical page what-can-i-do.php..at a guess, it is b/c of how IE is interpreting the declared size of the images. Looks okay in IE 7, but a lot of ppl still use 6.

</webgeekfaggotry>
  12. meathead Member

13. shawnonymous Member

DSC00349.jpg
    needs moar longcat
  14. Namenlos Member

He is indeed long.
  15. kilroy Member

so who actually owns the site?
  16. AuntAnonymous Member

I went to the yftc site for the first time in awhile because of this thread. Although it needs a bit of updating and like any website, can be tinkered with, it still has loads of good info captured.

The card campaign continues. One of my favourite things to do.
  17. A.Non Hubbard Member

Same. I get a new batch of cards whipped up once a month.
  18. Anonynamefag Member

bump for site needs to be fix'd
  19. Virion Member

Bump.
    Everyone I know who visited this site, went "hmm... urgh...".
    I like the virality of it, and it's a great way to get people interested, but.. sadly the site is lacking.
  20. grokitt Member

edit because I'm a dumbfuck and can't post in the right thread
  21. Re: YouFoundTheCard.com Needs Updating

Can someone at least find out when the domain expires so that someone else can clean this up?
  22. Re: YouFoundTheCard.com Needs Updating

Its been a while since that site was updated....
    but atleast it still has a quick outline/reference to send people who need a quick introduction to the cult
  23. Anon-007 Member

Miscavige undercover?
  24. grokitt Member

Expires 2010..so cleaning it up w/out the owner = not bloody likely.
    Anyone know what anon regged the domain?
  25. Anonymous Member

I think it's one of gregg's sites. I seem to recall it was a #mc project.
  26. Anonymous Member

im pretty sure it wasnt #mc ... if i remember correctly... it was someone outside anon.

but i could be wrong.
  27. Anonymous Member

Wasn't mc. It was orginally mistegirl, then later TakeAnonMe, neither of which seem to be active anymore.
  28. Re: YouFoundTheCard.com Needs Updating

At a bare minimum there should be some items from 2009 on there just to keep it looking current. Of course without the people who set it up that may not be possible. Well, hope you guys figure it out soon.
  29. grokitt Member

I cross posted this to the YFTC forum, along with an offer to help. There was activity from the admin (PSP) fairly recently, so maybe we can get some necromancy going. Worth a shot anyway.