Customize

YouTube - neutral open forum? + chronicle of issues

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by anon@anondomain.anon, Mar 15, 2008.

1. YouTube - neutral open forum? + chronicle of issues

[I'm making this post at another fag's request. Don't ask me about it.]

I didn't get around to creating this thread a month ago when the original 'Message to Scientology' video was erroneously removed from YouTube. Certain postings this week have refocused and amplified the need. In the hope of making it easier for Chanology and its members to understand the Project's relationship with the neutral open forum, I suggest formulating some Principles of Engagement for Neutral Open Forums, and collecting a Chronicle of Issues.

This is merely a proposal, open for discussion and disagreement. Or perhaps rather an offer to Chanology. There may be something to gain for the Project by accepting, or it can be ignored and this post will fade with time.
    This approach can be equally applied to any neutral open forum; I offer YouTube as the leading example because of the role it has so far had in this developing saga.

There are many possible elaborate Principles concepts. For my purpose, I offer this simple core:
    1. YouTube is a neutral open forum.
    2. YouTube is operated by humans and automated systems, which are capable of errors.
    3. Under appropriate conditions, humans may be willing and able to correct past errors.

Chronicle of Issues
    a) Any time a Chanology-related video or user account previously present on YouTube ceases to be available for reasons other than deletion by the poster, in addition to any formal dispute process that may be available on the site, reply in this thread. Identify the material by URL, date last seen, and a brief description including any known removal reason.
    If the material should reappear, edit the post with an update.
    b) Any time Chanology-related material is found on YouTube which clearly should not be on the site due to violation of YouTube policies, in addition to site-appropriate reporting procedures, reply in this thread. Identify the material by URL, date found, and a brief description including an analysis of the policy violation.
    If the material should disappear, edit the post with an update.

Again, the purpose is to make it easier for Chanology and its members to understand the Project's relationship with the neutral open forum.
    Thank you.